7 Ways to Support Ukraine Now
As we watch the news unfold in horror hoping for a path to peace, many of us are asking ourselves “How can we as individuals help?” If you’re watching social media, television, or video and wondering how you can support those affected and contribute to relief efforts, most organizations are most in need of financial donations. Here are seven trusted partners meeting critical needs on the ground.
1. International Rescue Committee (IRC): Members of the IRC team are on the ground in Poland to support displaced families. An emergency gift to their Crisis in Ukraine fund will enable them to provide critical necessities, like food, medical care, and emergency supplies to those fleeing Ukraine.
2. Save the Children: When crises happen, like this one in Ukraine, children are undoubtedly the most vulnerable. Save the Children focuses on responding quickly with life-saving humanitarian aid to children who are fleeing their homes and, in the process, are exposed to injury, hunger, and freezing temperatures. A donation to Save the Children allows them to deliver critical aid to children on the ground in the affected regions.
3. World Central Kitchen (WCK): Chef José Andrés and his Chef Relief Team have already mobilized and set up on the front lines where they’re providing fresh, nourishing meals to those fleeing the violence in Ukraine. All donations to WCK leverage local restaurants to provide warm meals to Ukrainian refugees in Poland, Romania, and the surrounding areas, as well as to five Ukrainian cities for those staying in the country where food access is scarce.
4. International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC): Donations allow ICRC and its team of water engineers and doctors to help more than three million people by giving them access to clean water and improve the living conditions for more than 66,000 people whose homes have been damaged in the conflict. Members of the ICRC team — as well as their partners, the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement — are active in Ukraine as they work to support the humanitarian needs of the region’s most vulnerable people.
5. UNHCR: UNHCR is leading the coordination of shelter and protection activities in the region, advocating for increased rights for asylum seekers, and providing refugees with case management, psychosocial support, and cash for basic needs, like healthcare. Your donation will save lives and help build a better future for refugees and displaced communities.
6. World Food Programme (WFP): The organization has launched an emergency operation to provide immediate food assistance for those fleeing the conflict in Ukraine and neighboring countries. A donation to WFP provides critical food assistance to those in the region who are most in need.
7. UNICEF: UNICEF has also mobilized an emergency response for Ukraine as the organization is urgently working to scale up its humanitarian delivery across the country. Your donation enables the organization to scale up life-saving programs across many critical areas, including: access to safe drinking water, emergency healthcare and protection, psychological support for traumatized children, and more.
If donating is not within your capacity, that’s okay. Instead, please consider reaching out to your networks and sharing these resources so that others have access to them. And to the rest of us: The power of compassion can never be underestimated.
About the Author
CEO at Salesforce.org
You Might Also Like
An Interview with Lindsay Gruber on building corporate resilience through pro bono volunteerism.
Each year, as we observe the International Day for the Abolition of Slavery on December 2, we have an opportunity…
A conversation with Jennifer Lotito, the President and COO of (RED), to learn more about (RED)’s success model and how…